Birkerts at the Bentley Historical Library
“One of the great American Modern architects of the last sixty years,” is how Sally Bund describes the man whose papers she has been curating at the Bentley Historical Library for the last twenty years, working closely with him. She will give an overview of Birkerts’ work, which is international in scope, including most recently the Latvian National Library. She will be joined by Margaret Leary, retired director of the University of Michigan Law Library, who was involved in the planning and design of Birkerts’ pathfinding underground addition.
Birkerts follows no set of rules but designs every building for its specific site and use. He is particularly well-known for his innovative and sensitive use of light, which is well-demonstrated in his two Ann Arbor buildings, the University Reformed Church (with its indirect lighting) and the University of Michigan Law School Library Addition (which is filled with light despite being below ground).
The Bentley Historical Library is located at 1150 Beal Avenue, Ann Arbor on the University of Michigan’s North Campus. A map is attached, indicating the locations of the closest lots where free parking is available. Please contact Grace Shackman by email at email@example.com or by phone at 734-662-2187 if you would like any additional information.
Date(s) – 02/04/2015
7:00 pm – 8:30 pm